Thursday, November 8, 2007

Not Agreeable, But Necessary

This will be among only a few non-analysis posts you'll see here. As the headline reads, this is a place for analysis. I won't post bare links or copied news stories, and you won't have to put up with my sloppy fiction or poetry. Instead I will do the one thing I feel I am adequately skilled at doing: explaining why some things are worthy of your time, and why others aren't so much.

This past summer has been filled with things that have sparked my critical mind. I've been brought to an analytic state by Radiohead's daring release, and bold content, of In Rainbows, the debate of racism in the videogame Resident Evil 5, wonderment over how Aaron Sorkin hit a home-run with SportsNight, but fell flat on Studio 60, Wes Anderson's retreading old ground (albeit with a different tractor) The Darjeeling Limited, finding two familiar and worthwhile reads in Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World, and the state of political affairs in this country and world wide (including, but not limited to, the thankfully more active investigative eye being placed on Blackwater USA.)

Despite all of these things, my writing on them has been minimal at best, and honestly, something needed to be done. Keep on me about this. If you know me and know I have something to say, tell me to write it here. If you read something I wrote and think I'll have something worthwhile to say about something I haven't yet written about, comment and tell me to. I need the writing samples, after all.

I'll be using a few simple labels to help organize posts. You'll notice that this post has Landmark and Not Critique, both of which should be rare to a fault. Landmark posts will come at key points in the blog's life, and probably in mine. Changes in format, hosting, basic content, etc. that are announced will be done so alongside a Landmark label. Not Critique posts should be limited to things like "I'm sick. Stop asking me to post. Leave me alone," and "I've won the lottery. Stop asking me to post. Leave me alone." Other labels will include the types of things I'll be looking at, as listed above (in no order worth figuring out: Film, Books, Music, News, Video Games, Politics, Television.) Due to the non-exclusivity of many of these properties, you'll probably even see a few posts with more than one of those labels. Finally, I'll bring out a few unique labels if I feel I'll be posting on a given topic excessively (Jay-Z for instance, or The Office.)

I'll have a new layout hopefully by the end of the week, as my good friend and roommate Matt "Bloise-san" Bloise will be whipping one up for me. If you have any advice for a look or style, comment here. In any case, stick it out with me, let's see how this goes.

By the way, the title of this post comes from a bit attributed to Winston Churchill, “Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.”

No comments: